Wednesday, November 11, 2009

John Mayer's Battle Studies

As much as everyone else, I'm very excited to hear the new studio album of John Mayer, Battle Studies. I've been a fan of his work, but I'm one of the few who prefers his older albums and would rate Room for Squares as his best work. For me, that album has the most memorable hooks, great songwriting and most importantly - songs that are "relatable" - if there is such a word.

So far, I've heard the tracks that John Mayer prereleased as videos: "Who Says" and "Heartbreak Warfare". Both songs are great but not as climatic as I hoped it was - Who says sounds like a lost track from Continuum, while Heartbreak Warfare has that Heavier Things vibe.

Both are ofcourse good, don't get me wrong but it seems like there is a shortage on topics to sing about - and singing about his "rockstar" self (Who Says) just doesn't cut through to normal human beings like myself. In fairness - it's still an honest song, and I can only imagine how it is to want to be "Stoned". Heartbreak warfare on the other hand has some tasty hooks, but lacks on the "guitar" aspect (Can't blame me for wanting more guitar after hearing John Mayer Trio :P).

Much like Continuum, I better appreciate his songs AFTER seeing him play the song live, so probably my take on the two songs will change after a few weeks. Can't wait to hear the new album to see where John Mayer currently stands musically. :)

No comments: